Post-Doctoral Research Associate Position jointly sponsored by the Material Science and Mechanical Engineering departments, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
The materials science engineering and mechanical engineering departments at the University of Maryland, College Park, have an open position for a jointly sponsored post-doctoral position. The ideal candidate will have an earned Ph.D. degree in engineering or closely related sciences. The position includes research activities in materials science and additive manufacturing as applied to thermal management and energy conversion systems. Therefore, formal research training/experience in the related fields of materials/manufacturing and/or thermal management is essential. The candidate’s responsibilities include conducting research, writing research reports and preparation of presentations, proposal writing, and assistance with supervision of relevant research staff and/or student researchers. Excellent command of written and verbal English is essential. Familiarity with experimentation and instrumentation and laboratory skills are highly desired. The position offers competitive salary and benefits. Interested applicants should submit their resume and a statement of interest here.
Summary of Essential Qualifications/Responsibilities:
- Familiarity with traditional and advanced fabrication technologies such as additive manufacturing and/or other advance manufacturing techniques
- Familiarity with 2-D/3-D CFD and/or FEM simulation of thermal management systems
- Basic knowledge of heat exchangers’ design, sizing, and optimization
- Building and running of experimental test setups for thermal systems analysis
- Provide oversight and mentorship of relevant research staff and graduate students
- Assistance with writing of research proposals
- Active and leading participation in writing research reports, publication of research results in reputed conference proceedings and engineering/scientific journals.
- Hands on experience with traditional and advanced (e.g., additive) manufacturing techniques and machine shop and laboratory skills.
- Experience with design optimization especially topology optimization of thermal systems.
- Experience with CFD and FEM simulation software (ANSYS Fluent, et al.).
- Experience with computational tools (Matlab, et al.).
- Experience with building, instrumentation, and test/analysis experimental setups for thermal management systems.